ITS CONTRIBUTIONS TO TOURISM
Contrubutions to tourism; Skywalk Fethiye Cable Car Project is the largest private sector investment in Mugla Province and one of the biggest projects in Fethiye.
Building cable car to Babadağ has been an investment that the people of Fethiye wanted and dreamed of since the 1990s when Babadağ was first used for paragliding activities. The construction of the cable car to the Babadağ Air Sports Center and Recreation Area was tendered in May 2011 by the Ministry of Environment and Urban Development General Directorate of Natural Assets Conservation, formerly the Ministry of Environment and Forestry Special Environmental Protection Agency.
After the cable car project was tendered in 2011, Fethiye Chamber of Commerce and Industry made an attempt in the presence of its members for the project in question to be carried out by an entrepreneur operating in the region, registered to the chamber. However, it is understood that no request will be given to the tender for the construction of the cable car project from Fethiye Chamber of Commerce and Industry registered members.
Fethiye Chamber of Commerce and Industry, starting from the necessity of regional development, in particular, of providing the region a new and different investment, established Fethiye Güç Birliği Tourism Advertising and Trading Co.Ltd (FGB) and joined the tender initiated by Special Environmental Protection Agency representing all the members and won the tender on June 17, 2011.
In accordance with the agreement signed between the Special Environmental Protection Agency and the FGB on July 07, 2011, Babadağ Air Sports Center and Recreation Area started to be operated by Fethiye Güç Birliği.
WHAT WILL SKYWALK FETHIYE CABLE CAR PROJECT PROVIDE FOR THE REGION?
- Because it will be easier and safer to the summit and there will be a significant increase in the number of para-gliders. This will ensure that Babadağ will be a world brand in the field of paragliding in terms of transportation conditions, as well as runways and social facilities.
- Since it will be possible to organize recreative visits to the summit both in summer and winter, the tourism season will be extended.
- Since the historic Lycian Pathway passes through here and includes the new trekking routes, it will be a new attraction center for tourists doing this sport.
- The number of visitors will be increased by adding Babadağ to tour routes and a new tourism product will be added to the region. It will be an important center of attraction of a wide tourism destination in the region including Kaş, Kalkan, Marmaris, Göcek.
- It will contribute to Babadağ to be one of the important training centers in the field of paragliding in the world.
- The project is planned to attract 1 million tourists a year. It is predicted that the project will increase the tourism potential in the region by 30-40 percent in the first place. Skywalk Fethiye Cable Car Project will be a huge step forward for Fethiye among many competitors to move towards becoming a tourism capital.
- When the lifeblood of the Fethiye economy is thought to be tourism, its contribution to the regional economy, not just tourism, will be enormous.